Question: Why do I need a redesign?
- To improve the look and feel of your website
- To compete better with your competition that do have up to date websites
- To clarify your opening messages (Who? What? Why? When?)
- To clarify your “Call to Actions” (see below)
- To improve your SEO (get more visitors)
- To make more sales and / or generate more enquiries
- To be mobile friendly
- To improve your conversion rate (from visitor to customer)
Question: Why does my website need to be responsive (mobile friendly)?
- To make your website easy to use for the rapidly expanding audience of mobile and multi-device browsing users
- Responsive site are designed for mobiles and give the user a better experience
- There is evidence that Google is favoring mobile friendly sites
- There is an explosion in mobile browsing which has totally changed the way people use websites
- People live with their phones unlike their desktops and laptops
- People surf the web on their phones whilst eating breakfast, travelling to work, at work, whilst sitting on the sofa watching TV, before bed and even whilst on the toilet
- Mobile users are more likely to leave non-mobile friendly sites (higher bounce rate)
- Mobile sites can prioritise content for mobile usage
- 39% of local mobile users make a call after an online search, 32% visit a store
- 20% of all web traffic now comes from mobile devices, growing by 60% each year
- 75% of users prefer a mobile friendly website
- 74% of smartphone users go online with their phone everyday
- 80% of smart phone users never leave home without their phone
- 61% of users who visit a mobile-unfriendly website are likely to go to a competitor’s website
Question: Why do I need to sell online?
- More than £250m is spend each day online in the UK alone (2013)
- Your competition are selling online
- There is a massive online market to take advantage of
- 24/7 fully automated sales – earn money whilst you sleep
- A website is a low cost retail outlet with a bigger potential audience than any high street
- Online retail grew by 20% in 2013, 23% through mobile devices.
Question: Why should I be worried that my site still uses Flash?
- Only 15% of websites still use old technology such as Flash and it is estimated that this will fall to less than 5% by 2015.
- 75% of mobile devices (tablets and smart phones) no longer support Flash out of the box
- Flash is not accessible from iPhones or iPads at all and never will be
- Flash is very poor with the search engines
- We have clients who have experienced a 400% increase in traffic within 6 months of replacing Flash with HTML
Question: Why is a clean and clear design important?
- 61% of visitors leave mobile websites if they don’t see what they are looking for right away
- 52% say that poor user experience made them less likely to engage with a company
- You only have a short time to make a good first impression
- If you do not deliver your primary message quickly and clearly users will click away
- If your “Call to Actions” are not clear, users will miss them, this is a big waste
- All your marketing efforts and money you spend trying to direct people to visit your website will be wasted if once they arrive the “Call to Actions” are missed
Question: What are “Call to Actions” and why are they important?
- “Call to Actions” are the buttons you want your users to click
- If you are a shop your “Call to Actions” will be adding products to the shopping cart
- If you were a service provider your “Call to Actions” would be the Contact Us or Make an Enquiry
- Correctly identifying your “Call to Actions” is understanding the purpose of the website
- Making sure the design highlights the “Call to Actions” will help maximise the chances of the website achieving its main objectives
Question: Why do I need to fully exploit the power of social media?
- 86% of marketing departments say that social media was important to their businesses
- 75% of organizations report an increase in traffic when they integrate social media into their site and strategy
- 89% of all businesses that have a dedicated social media platform as part of their marketing strategy report an increase in their market exposure
- 51% who have used social media marketing for over 3 years report an increase in sales over that period
- Social media can help you to build up an online audience that you can connect with directly
- Using social media to distribute links back to your main website improves your search engine ranking
Question: Why should I monitor how people found my site?
- Xanda can provide you tools to find out where your site visitors came from
- By understanding how people found your site you can identify where your strengths and weaknesses lie and focus your attention appropriately
- If different marketing instruments are being used, online tracking can determine which instruments are responsible what percentage of traffic or even sales
- Monitoring how people found your site is a simple way to measure how successful any particular campaign has been especially if cross reference with cost
- Monitoring tools help you to do more of what is working and do less or change the things that are not
Question: Can you help me collect my client’s data?
- We can have online forms on your website and invite users to enter their data
- If you can offer something in return then all the better
- All data collected will be stored in an online database and will be easily exportable (into excel) for marketing usage
Question: What is SEO?
- SEO is Search Engine Optimization. SEO is the process of affecting the visibility of a website in a search engine’s “natural” or un-paid (“organic”) search results
- Internal SEO looks at how your website is built and aims to make it more attractive to the search engines and more relevant to specified keywords / key phrases
- External SEO looks to create relevant links and content on third party websites and social networks to effectively endorse your website
Question: What are SEO keywords / key phrases and why are they important?
- Your SEO keywords are the key words and phrases in your web content that make it possible for people to find your site via search engines.
- A website that is well optimized for search engines understands what its potential visitor base might search for when looking for them and then engineers these keywords into its code and content
- Keywords must not be too specific or too vague, 2 – 4 words is usually about right
- Keywords should match up with site content (eg be a title on a page)
- Xanda can help you select your keywords based on how competitive they are (how many other sites are using them) against how often they are searched for
- Ideally you will select uncompetitive keywords that are searched for very often
Question: Why do I need SEO?
- So your customers can find you on the search engines
- So the search engines recommend you (above your competition) to people searching for key phrases related to your business
- 95% of web traffic goes to sites on page 1 of Google
Question: Why am I “nowhere” on Google?
- Your website is probably poorly search engine optimized, which means the background code may not be written well or include all the meta-data that tells the search engines what your site is about
- You may have insufficient or poorly written content
- Your content may be old and out of date
- You may have poor internal links making it hard for the search engines to index your site
- You may have few if any external links (links from other sites) that if you had more would have the effect of endorsing you
- You may not be using social media as well as you could be
- You may not be posting good content around the internet
- You may not be properly registered with search engines
- Your website may not be indexable
- Your competition are all doing a lot more work than you
- You are in a competitive industry and need to do more to keep up
- Xanda can help on all the above
Question: What is a site map and why is it important?
- Site Maps list all pages on your website
- They are important for SEO reasons
- They make it easier for search engines to index your entire site
Question: Why do I need a logo?
- Logos are important identifiers for your business
- Xanda have an expert design team who have been designing logos for 15 years
Question: Why do I need a new logo (rebranding)?
- Only if you are unhappy with your existing logo
- Old fashioned and out of date branding can make your business look old fashions and out of date
- The digital age has placed an additional emphasis on branding where increased competition in the market place requires a strong identity in order to make you stand out
- If your logo is weak for any reason it is that weakness that you are projecting as a first impression
- Xanda specialize is creating strong, attractive and relevant logos (fun company, fun logo, strong company, strong logo etc.)
Question: Why does my logo need to be designed before you start work on the web designs?
- Your logo should dictate the style of your website
- Your website should be consistent with your logo and branding
- This way you will offer a consistent message to your audience which will effectively reinforce the strength and message of your branding
Question: What is a Brand Guidelines document and why is it important?
- Your brand guidelines document will include:
- your logo
- your fonts
- your colours
- your strap lines
- the format of your titles and text
- the types of imagery that should be used
- By referring to your branding document every time you create new corporate materials you can achieve brand consistency
This will further reinforce your branding giving you a clear and identifiable visual impression
Question: What is a CMS?
- A CMS is a Content Management System
- A CMS is an easy to use set of tools that allow users to update their websites without any technical skills. Examples of the things you can do include:
- Add or Remove pages
- Change titles, body texts and images
- Change prices and special offers if you have a shop
- Add videos, add photo galleries, add maps, upload photos and PDFs etc.
- And a lot more depending on your website
Question: Why WordPress?
- Xanda use WordPress which is arguably the best open source CMS in the world
- 23% of the top 10million websites in the world use WordPress (stats from WordPress / Google)
- OpenSource CMSs benefit from hundreds of thousands of contributors and have no on-going annual licensing fees
- WordPress is highly portable and widely used making it easy should you wish to leave us
- CMSs separate design from content which makes it easy to redesign the site in the future without having to incur the significant expenditure of building the back-end again
- Xanda regularly upgrade your version of WordPress keeping you up to date with the latest technologies and security patches
- With a CMS you can update your site 24/7 with the easy to use online tools
- 24/7 tools are important so you don’t delay on posting that important announcement, that breaking news or that special offer and you don’t have to wait for your web developers to find time to publish your updates for you
Question: Do you use templates (as part of your bespoke service)?
- No, our bespoke service websites are entirely based on original designs and development
- We find templates are limiting
- We prefer all our websites to be unique and inovative
- We believe we can design to a higher standard than templates offer
- We do have a lower cost template based service
Question: Why should I have a bespoke website over a template website?
- Template websites are reusable generic designs
- Bespoke websites can look like anything, with templates you have to work with what you’re given
- Bespoke websites are unique, templates are not
- Bespoke websites can achieve a higher design standard than templates
- Bespoke websites can been designed specifically for your services and can focus specifically on your desired Call to Actions
- Bespoke websites can be designed in line with your branding with a template website you can just stick your logo at the top
- There are no limits on design and functionality with a bespoke design, templates can be very restrictive
- Template websites can come with an annual license fee where Xanda only charge a one off design fee as part of the service
- With bespoke you can have anything you want, with template you get what your given
- Templates sites are lower cost alternatives
Question: What is HTML?
- HTML is the main language of the Internet
- Every page on the Internet is written in HTML
- HTML can include other languages
Question: Why is a good quality hosting package important?
- 38% of people say speed is the most important factor when using the web
- Your hosting should backup your website regularly so that in case of failure the website can be restored
- Your hosting should be secure to protect yours and your customers data that may be stored online
Question: Will my website work in all browsers?
- Xanda ensure our websites are tested and are fully compatible with all vendor support browsers. This covers the vast majority of all browsers accessing the internet.
- Older browsers will work but the user experience and functionality may be degraded.
- Xanda can develop websites to work in older browsers. In this case restrictions may apply to the technologies that can be used and surcharged will apply.
Question: What is my website hosting and maintenance package?
- Your hosting and maintenance package includes
- All required webspace and bandwidth
- Your webspace is the physical space on the internet that your website is stored in that makes it accessible online. The bandwidth is how much data is sent by the server. The more site visitors you have the more bandwidth you use. Unlike many of our competitors Xanda do not surcharge for high usage of either.
- Domain costs and management
- Your domain name is your web address. (www.yourcompany.com). If you do not have a domain Xanda will register one for you. Once the domain is secured we will manage it to ensure it points to both your email services and your website. (Please note Xanda do not provide email services as standard but can do so upon request)
- Remote technical support on your CMS
- Your CMS is the tool you will use to manage your website’s content. At launch we will train you on how to use it. If throughout the year you need additional help Xanda will remotely support you.
- A predefined number of inclusive updates
- Should you prefer Xanda publish your website updates on your behalf a number of updates per annum can be included at a heavily discounted rate.
- All required site licenses
- Your website will use many different components (code, stock images, stock videos etc.) many of which may have their own licenses. Xanda will ensure that all licenses for components we provide are maintained.
- Bugs fixes
- All computer systems are subject to bugs. Especially complicated and constantly evolving systems like those used on the Internet. In the event a bug is identified Xanda will resolve the issue at no extra cost.
Question: How does the Xanda copywriting service work?
- Bullet points from client
- Xanda will present first draft
- Feedback from the client
- Xanda will then present the final draft
Question: Can you translate my website?
- There are 2 options when it comes to translating your website
- 1. Google Translate
- Google translate is a free tool that automatically translates the texts on your website
- Google translate is easy to implement
- Google translate offers every major language
- The problem is that it is a computer translating words which does not always fully grasp the true meanings and translations may not read
- fluently to a native speaker
- 2. Language translation module with human translations
- Xanda can install and configure a language translation module into your website
- We then select which languages you want to be made available
- Every time a page is created the site will ask for translations in all languages
- As these will be manually created they should be perfect
- This is a much slower process but gives you perfect translations
- The client will provide the content in both languages
- Xanda can provide quotations for translation services upon request
- If you need perfect translations then you need option 2.
- If imperfect translations is good enough then Google Translate is a good free service.
Question: Can you design my stationery?
- We can do business card, letterheads, compliments slips, brochures
- We can also stick your logo on pretty much anything (mugs, t-shirts, mouse matts, USB sticks etc.)
Question: How much does it cost to print?
- We can give you a good low cost quote for standard products
- Printing cost depends on quantity, quality and delivery time
- We can also give you quotes on higher quality prints / techniques / materials
- We can get printing done very quickly it just costs a little extra
Question: What is the best way for me to email my clients?
- Emailing en mass from Outlook will result in your emails being registered as junk / spam
- You could also damage your own reputation. If you get marked as a spammer you will then have problems sending all emails in future.
- Bulk emails should be sent through a professional third party emailer such as MailChimp
- MailChimp can be used without charge for the first 5000 emails per month and fess above this level are not high
- MailChimp act responsibly and use multiple IP address so are less likely to be registered as spam
Question: What is the specification document and why is it important?
- The specification document is the blue print for the work that will be done
- Features requested that do not feature on the specification may be subject to surcharges
- Changes to how the site was described to work in the specification half way through the development may be subject to surcharges
- Changes to the specification may affect estimated delivery times
- If the specification document is accurate there will be no misunderstandings about what work is to be done
Question: What is the website design process?
- To start we’ll work closely with you to prepare a design brief
- We will consider the key objectives of the project
- We will research your competition
- We will then prepare and send you an initial design concept for your feedback in the form of a static screenshot of the proposed website
- We’ll take your notes, make adjustments and then present another version for more feedback
- We will continue this process of feedback and adjustment until you are entirely happy
- Xanda commit to continuing this process and deliver as many design concepts as required until you are entirely happy with the design
- You will not be stuck with a design you are not happy with (unlike our competitors who limit the process to a number of hours)
- You will not face additional charges should the design process take longer than expected (again unlike our competitors who limit the process to a number of hours)
- We are not precious about our designs and will respond quickly to your feedback
- We expect 5 or 6 iterations and encourage our clients to engage in the process and not be disenchanted should they not love the initial designs
- We always get there in the end
Question: What happens after the design is signed off?
- We continue to the development phase (this is the coding part)
- Once the development nears completion we will send you a link to a demo (beta) site
- The demo site is online but inaccessible by the search engines
- You can click around the demo site and offer us feedback
- We will work on this feedback until you are happy
- And then after a final test and the balance is paid the site is launched
Question: Do I need to pay the deposit before or after the design concepts are sent across?
- Xanda require that our clients pay their deposits before the design process commences
- Once we receive your deposit we can secure your slot on our design floor
Question: Can I pay over several monthly instalments?
- Xanda are usually happy to offer interest free spread payment plans
- We will send you a guarantee and standing order document for you to complete and return
- The project will commence once an original signed copy of this form is received
- Xanda may suspend services if a payment is missed
Question: When will the development phase start?
- Having the design approved is the first stage in the web design process
- Only after the design is signed off will the development phase commence
- This is because changing something in Photoshop or Illustrator (our tools during the design phase) is relatively quick compared to re-writing code
- Having the design finalised before commencing development gives the developers a clear and accurate plan and maximises speed and efficiency of the process
Question: Why are delivery times only estimates?
- The entire process relies on several parties contributing to the project in a timely manner
- The design process is a creative and subjective exercise which can be done very quickly or take a little more time to yield an approved design
- Clients often need more time than they expected collating and providing us with the content for the site
- Integrations with third parties (banking partners, stock systems, shipping systems, news feeds etc) are subject to timely responses from the third party integration teams which unfortunately do not always happen
- Sometimes clients take longer than expected setting up their accounts with third parties (eg internet merchant bank accounts for taking money)
Question: What are the hosting and maintenance costs?
- Hosting and maintenance costs are fixed for 12 months
- It is an all-inclusive package which means unless you request new features there will be no surprises and surcharges
Question: What if I don’t have clear ideas as to how I want my website to look?
- Not a problem
- If you don’t have an idea just let us know as much or as little as you have in mind and we’ll work out the rest
- We have an experienced and highly creative design team who are capable of understanding your business and preparing suitable designs
- After you see our first design concepts you may love them or at the very minimum they should encourage you to offer more feedback that we can build upon
Question: How can I update my site?
- The easiest way to update your site is through a Content Management System (CMS)
- Xanda will train and support you on how to use your CMS
- Your CMS can be accessed from any internet enabled device
- If you would prefer to call or email in your web updates, Xanda will be happy to make them for you
Question: Why do I need to be able to easily update my site?
- Regularly updated sites are more interesting then abandoned sites
- Regularly updates site are indexed higher on Google
- 68% of visitors are more likely to return to a website that is regularly updated